Date Event: 2021-07-05 / 2021-07-09
Your Organization: Beijing Normal University
Author: Gengyuan Liu
See Document: download
2021 International Summer Workshop:
Training Course on Environmental Ecological System Engineering
July 5-9, 2021
Online Course via Zoom/VOOV + Offline Course
School of Environment, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China
International faculty members国际教师团队：
Mark Brown is a professor of Environmental Engineering Sciences and director of the Center for Environmental Policy at the University of Florida. He is the Academic Master in BNU. His interests in research and education are centered on several areas that deal with the interface of humanity and environment including, systems ecology, ecological engineering, ecological economics, environmental planning, environmental policy, restoration ecology and wetlands ecology.
Mark Brown，佛罗里达大学湿地与环境政策研究中心主任，基地学术大师。师从系统生态学创始人H.T. Odum，主要研究领域为能源与环境政策、生态系统服务评估、湿地生态修复等方面，发表论文140余篇，文章引用5600余次，H指数35。国际能值协会创始人，曾担任美国生态工业协会主席。
Sergio Ulgiati is a professor of the Parthenope University. He is the Academic Master in BNU. His interests in research and education are centered on several areas that deal with the emergy analysis, circular economy, zero emission and urban ecological management.
Francesco Gonella is a Professor at Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, Italy. He was Director of the International School on Emergy Accounting, Venice 2013, 2015 and 2018. Research interests include nano-structured glasses, environmental Physics, systems thinking, and higher education.
Francesco Gonella，威尼斯Ca Foscari大学教授，外专局高端人才，担任国际能值课程主任。研究兴趣包括环境物理学、系统思维及教育等。
Ming Xu is a Professor in School for Environment and Sustainability and a Professor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He received the 2015 Robert A. Laudise Medal from International Society for Industrial Ecology (ISIE), the National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award He has been serving as the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Resources, Conservation & Recycling since 2015.
徐明，密西根大学教授，基地学术骨干，现任国际SCI期刊Resources, Conservation & Recycling主编。2015年获得国际工业生态学会青年科学家奖（Laudise奖）。2016年获得美国国家科学基金职业发展奖（CAREER）。2019年获Environmental Science & Technology青年科学家奖。
Gang Liu is a Professor of Industrial Ecology at University of Southern Denmark. His research aims to map the anthropogenic/ socioeconomic metabolism and inform its circular, low carbon, and just transition through understanding materials and energy stocks and flows and their associated environmental consequences in a systems context, in particular for case studies of metal cycles, urban systems, and low-carbon technologies.
Gengyuan Liu is a Professor of School of Environment, Beijing Normal University. He specialises in urban ecological planning and Management, value realization of ecological products and urban energy-water-carbon nexus. He is the Center Director of Advances in Cleaner Production Network, Regional Center, and Secretary-in-Chief for China Chapter of International Society for Advancement Emergy Research.
课程安排 Course Plan：
The course will be arranged as MOOC + Offline course + Online Course
Special Topic Course 1
Special Topic Course 2
Special Topic Course 3
Special Topic Course 4
Special Topic Course 5
Online Course A
Online Course C
Online Course E
Online Course G
Online Course I
Online Course B
Online Course D
Online Course F
Online Course H
Online Course J
Issuing of course certificates
Note: 1. Students will watch the online MOOC course in the morning and learn the basic knowledge of Environmental Accounting and Management.
- Online course will be divided into two classes due to the time difference. 17:30-19:00 in China Time Zone will be 11:30-13:00 in Roma Time Zone. 19:00-20:30 in China Time Zone will be 7:00-8:30 in NY Time Zone.
- The course will issue the course certificate after finishing. The certificate is authorized by the International Society of Advancement Emergy Research, etc. All the participates will be invited as the member of ISAER to join the following academic activities.
- All the BNU students will win 2 credits after the course. Please send your personal information and student ID to Prof. Gengyuan Liu (email@example.com)
在线课程信息Online Course Information
Online Course A (by Prof. Sergio Ulgiati):
- quick definition of “value”: money, energy, emergy, just as a start (15 minutes maximum)
- practical examples of emergy evaluations to understand values and support choices (e.g. trade, agriculture, energy, recycling, water);
Online Course B (by Prof. Mark Brown):
- Discussion of systems thinking, Why think systemically? Drawing diagrams.
- Discussion of emergy principles and concepts and how they relate to everyday life. Examples of laws of thermodynamics, maximum power, hierarchy, Maximum Power Principle
- Calculation of renewable emergy sources from the Geosphere Emergy Baseline
Online Course C (by Prof. Sergio Ulgiati):
- quick description of LCA and its use for calculation of UEVs. Examples: UEVs of chemicals used in agriculture.
- paper making and recycling. Integrated use of LCA and Emergy for high quality paper making and assessment.
- Emergy for Circular Economy policy–making
- urban waste management and wastewater, and waste management policies
Online Course D (by Prof. Mark Brown):
- Discussion of Emergy Algebra, Issue of double counting. Static and dynamic emergy accounting.
- Example emergy accounting table: Static accounting
- Example of dynamic accounting: EXCEL solver
Online Course E (by Prof. Sergio Ulgiati):
- transportation patterns (cars, buses, trains and high speed trains, flights) and mobility policies
- electricity generation from different sources
- Emergy assessment of rural and urban environment
- Emergy evaluation of electronic waste recovery: costs and benefits
Online Course F (by Prof. Mark Brown):
- Discussion of the relations between emergy, economy, and money
- Using the NEAD
- Discussion of the relations between emergy and urban systems
Online Course G (by Prof. Francesco Gonella)
- Emergy accounting of a bioelectricity production site.
- Agriculture-breeding-conversion: the role of subsystems in the emergy systemic description.
Online Course H (by Prof. Mark Brown):
- Discussion of the concept of “ecosystem”… the difference between natural capital and ecosystem services. Why is limiting factors principle so important? Species and information
- Computing and graphing emergy signature of estuarine system
- Emergy evaluation of estuarine impacts and losses
Online Course I (by Prof. Francesco Gonella):
- Sustainability assessment of bioelectricity production through emergy indicators.
- How different scales and boundaries address different narratives for the system sustainability.
Online Course J (by Prof. Mark Brown):
- Discussion of concept of environmental impact…assessing environmental impacts
- Discussion of emergy evaluation of alternatives. Computing Net Emergy
- Simulation modelling: examples using EXCEL
特别邀请课程信息Special Topic Course Information
Special Topic Course 1 (by Prof. Gengyuan Liu)
- Urban Metabolism and Food-Energy-Water Nexus
Special Topic Course 2 (by Prof. Gang Liu)
- On economy-wide material flow analysis
- Basic concepts and methodology introduction
- Applications and exercise
Special Topic Course 3 (by Prof. Gang Liu)
- On substance flow analysis and dynamic material flow analysis
- Indicator element and substance flow analysis
- Introduction to STAN software
- Dynamic material flow analysis: Basic introduction and examples of uses
Special Topic Course 4 (by Prof. Ming Xu)
- Introduce the concept of environmental footprints, followed by national accounting systems to develop the basic input-output (IO) analysis framework.
Special Topic Course 5 (by Prof. Ming Xu)
- IO techniques to measure various types of environmental footprints of consumption at the sector, national, and international scales.
MOOC课程信息MOOC course information：
If you are interested, please send your person information to Prof. Gengyuan Liu’s email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The course will be free for BNU students. Students from other Universities/institutes need to be paid (500 RMB for 5 days course). Payment information will be sent by email.
- School of Environment, Beijing Normal University
- Multi-scale Ecological Simulation and Environmental Security Regulation Technological Innovation Base
- State Key Joint Laboratory of Environment Simulation and Pollution Control
- Beijing Engineering Research Center for Watershed Environmental Restoration & Integrated Ecological Regulation
- International Society for Advancement Emergy Research